Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Carson's Concussion

I give myself an F- in my parenting skills today. I decided to take a trip to the store with the kids, to get some things for our upcomming vacation. We met Kyle for lunch and then walked across the parking lot to the store. I had also been to a different store yesterday with them, and it was not a good experience......at least no one was hurt. We just made a few messes. Well today was a million times worse. I thought I would be smarter, and bring my stroller. I put the baby in the back, and Kylie and Carson took turns riding in the front. When we arrived at the store, neither of them wanted to ride in the stroller, and they started goofing off really bad. I made Kylie sit down in the front, and held Carson up at the top (by the handle area). We have done this a million times before, and they always hold on, and we hold them from behind. I turned around to grab something, and Kylie stood up, which put all the weight in the back, and Carson went down backwards, right on to the hard cement floor! The baby was crying, but o.k., Carson was screaming.......I was embarrassed, and feeling really stupid. I really didn't think a ton of it at the time, because he bumps his head at least ten times a day. He was sweaty, and pale, so I took him to the bathroom, and washed his face. Then (like an idiot) I continued to look for him some good camping shoes. I was holding him, and he suddenly threw up all over me and him. I then put my stuff down in a hurry, and walked as quickly as I could to the nearest door, while holding him, and pushing the stroller with one hand. I called the Dr. on the way home, they said to take him to the E.R. I had to run home to change our clothes. Kyle picked us up, and we headed to the hospital. As soon as we got into the waiting room, Carson threw up a ton. The nurses took him back immediately. I had to explain my stupidity several times, to several different people. I had already been in tears, and thankfully they didn't make me feel bad about it, like before. We washed him off again, the Dr. checked him out, and wanted to monitor him for an hour. He seemed to improve, so they let us go. We have to watch him really close over the next 24 hours, and if he gets sick, or worse in any way, then he'll need a cat scan. They try not to do them, because of the high radiation levels.
Anyways, to say the least, I felt like the worst mother in the world today, and will not be going to any stores alone with all three kids, for a very long time.
Also, if you ever have to wait at the E.R, just make a mess right when you come in, and cause a big scene, and you will get taken back immediately.
Wish us Luck!!

3 comments:

David and Melissa Belnap said...

Oh my gosh Ash!! I am so sorry!! I hope the little man is OK! That is so scary! Don't feel like a terrible mom...I would have thought the same thing...that he hits his head all the time! Aiden always is hitting his head, and sometimes he does it to himself! Give Carson a kiss for me!! Is he feeling better today??

Williamson Fam said...

Ahh Ash, i'm so sorry, it happens to the best of us, it was an accident and i just hope he's ok, kids bounce back so fast and he wont remember it, maybe from the fall or maybe with age, ha ha j/k..Take care, that is so scary..

Megan said...

That is so sad. I'm soo sorry. I thought 2 was hard out, but I can only imagine. And... We do the same thing with Cohen so I will remember now not to let go, even for 2 seconds. ahhh I cant imagine. Hope it all gets better soon.