Wednesday, January 27, 2010

So Hard to say Goodbye

So our little Chloe has been under the weather for over a year now. She has had back problems, along with a lot of other things. She suddenly went blind over the summer, which really alarmed us. We have taken her in for second opinions, but without doing a several thousand dollar test, no one was able to determine the problem. We were hoping that it was just a fluke thing. This last week, she has been really out of it, and pretty uncomfortable. We took her in again, and tried antibiotics. Things were just getting worse. Late tonight, I told Kyle I thought it was time for me to stop being selfish, and get things taken care of. It is incredibly hard to have to make that kind of a call, especially where she couldn't communicate the problem. I will always feel horrible for having to do this, but I just couldn't stand to see her suffer any longer. It is like losing a family member. The saddest part is that she was only seven and a half years old. She has brought so much joy to us, and we have loved every minute that we have had with her. I hope that we gave her a happy life, she did get pushed to the back burner a little when the kids were born, but we still tried to include her as much as possible. She was the sweetest dog, and we will always remember her. I think the kids are a little too young to understand, so I don't know what I will tell them in the morning. I just wanted to make note of this, since this is our only family journal for now, and she has been a large part of it. I probably will not have the courage to look at this for a few days(possibly never). We love you Chloe, and will miss you immensely!!

4 comments:

Williamson Fam said...

Oh ym gosh, you know how i am ot an animal lover, but i am in tears right now, what a sad post..She was such a lucky dog to have your family as her family. I'm so sorry please know i'm thinking of you, and you made the best decision...Love you so much, and never thought i would be crying over an animal, this post was so sad to me...

David and Melissa Belnap said...

Oh Ash....I am so sorry!!! We loved Chloe too!!! It is hard to loose an animal, because you really do get so attatched!! It is like loosing a family member!! We love you guys!

Sherrie said...

Asheigh, that is so sad and I am so sorry. I'm sure that was such a terribly hard decision, pets become a real part of the family. We'll see you real soon and I'll give you a big hug then.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry you had to make such a hard decision! It was very brave of you.